Tuesday, June 28, 2011

String Algae Collection Device

I'm calling this version 1.2 of my home made "String Algae Collection Device."

This thing is pretty simple which is what makes it work so well.  Not to say there are not improvements to be made... I'm already working on version 1.3.

The "big gee-whiz" of this thing is the round handle which makes it easy to spin the tool and the algae collection end is splayed out to hook the string algae.

Insert tool in the pond and let it rest on the algae. Spin the tool and the algae wraps around the PVC pipe. Remove the tool from the pond and slide the algae off the end of the pipe... sorry, you have to use your hand.

All I can tell you is it works pretty well as a first pass to remove the large masses of algae.  Chemicals are needed for the cleanup and if I owned one a pond vacuum would be nice.

When you own a pond algae will always be present.  One of the key's to having an attractive pond is clear water, some plants, waterfalls and no algae.  It's the "no algae" part that is unattainable but algae can be managed.

To manage algae all you need is lots of time, a few coins, lots of time, patience, lots of time, more patience, chemicals, patience, additonal patience.....

It's too bad Billy Mays isn't with us anymore as I would have him selling these by the thousands! Sure...

Dontchaloveit?

Whoohoo!

2 comments:

Janine said...

I love homemade devices. You see a need, you develop, you improve, you feel satisfied. Good job!

JamesPond said...

Cool tool, Jim! I love that you could build this from parts from Home Depot. Maybe you should slap a label on it and try selling them : ) It looks like it would be perfect for string algae. I usually just wade in and pull it out with my hands, then add some bacteria. The Pond Blog did a pretty cool post just the other day about algae, too. http://blog.lochnesswatergardens.com/all-about-string-algae/