Saturday, April 2, 2011

Big Fish Make'n Little Fish

It can't be denied!  Spring is to what I'm referring.  The fish in the pond have come out of hiding and one pair is obviously doing that procreation thing.

The pair swims around with the male brushing up against the female.  She will slow or even stop someplace and quiver then he quivers and they move on.  In my ever so humble opinion she is depositing eggs and he is offering milt to seal the deal.

It's afternoon as I write this and they have been doing this "dance" since the sun rose over the yardarm right after dark-thirty.  Surely they will sleep well tonight.

The female is orange, the male is white/orange.  He is in position to encourage her to lay eggs and also positioned to contribute his part in this mating dance.

From time to time the pair would swim right out the the water onto rocks.  My thought was they were trying to lay eggs in locations that were not readily accessible to other fish.  Note the pair of voyeurs watching.  One excursion to the shallows resulted in them frightening the resident leopard frog who was able to leap out of what he though was harms way.
I expect we will have little orange and white fish (fry) in a couple of weeks.

Of course you'll be able to read about it in this very blog!

Whoohoo!!

2 comments:

Janine said...

Somehow I missed that you had fish. How could I have missed that? Distracted by birds and frogs is all I can believe happened. Since it's all new to me, I must say how nice it is to have a great flash of color in the water. Where is the wishing pond? And when you collect the coins do you donate them to your charity? (Spitter Support Group)

Kirk said...

You think they are going to sleep, but I don't think that is true. The slept all winter, now have alot of built up energy to use up.. This could go on for days. lol