Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Yard Art (?)

Have you ever been to one of those places where some inspired person breaks out the welder and makes dinosaurs or space ships and the like out of discarded junk?  If your like me when you look at some of this stuff you wonder, "how can people come up with this from that?"  I do enjoy those places and I am always awed by the creativity.

Along this line, we went to the downtown area with my sister in tow to show her the sights and visit the flea markets that try to pass themselves off as antique dealers.  It's always fun to look and see. One of the unique things about Grand Junction is they have a lot of art on display in town.  The city contracts with artists to display their creations for so many years.  It's cool and entertaining.

My wife and my sister were cruising the main drag and spied a creation that had a lot of rebar forming a column and the inside of the column was filled with rock.  I would have named it something like "Rocks Stacked Inside a Rebar Column."  Anyway, they saw this and challenged me to make something for the backyard that was made of rock and was vertical.

I have to say I can't believe I haven't shared this with my fan!  I was reviewing my blog this afternoon and noted my omission.  In a effort to rectify that gaff here is my big gee-whiz for yard art.  Seems to me this creation leaves a lot of room on the creativity side of the equation.  I wouldn't expect to see much more of this around our place!

Do you see a face in the top rock?  I do and it reminds me of some ex-boxer that just
didn't get out of the ring soon enough.  How 'bout that "cone-head!"

Sometimes you just have to let your imagination go... go far, far away....
Whoohoo... don't ya love it?

2 comments:

Kirk said...

I like this.. Can you make me one.. Thanks.Love you...

Janine said...

These are called rock cairns- aren't they? They're used to point people in the right direction. Although yours is WAY taller. Cool! Is it balanced on it's own or did you glue it?