Tuesday, June 30, 2009

An Omen?

Back in 1973 a movie came out that scared the bejesus out of me... The Exorcist.  I went with a friend to see the show and that night, when I went to bed, I heard sounds in the attic and the basement.  Every time the house creaked I freaked.  I knew it was silly to be scared... geez, it was only a movie.  I wanted my friend by my side but that wasn't happening.  The damn (pun intended) movie wasn't real for crying out loud.  So I went outside and got my dog and made him sleep in my bedroom.  That helped.

Then, in 1976, the first of the Omen series had it's debut.  Yep, all the accumulated bejesus, 3 years of it, was again scared out of me.  Since seeing this show I've avoided rottweilers and young boys in suits.    I've avoided them like the plague.

The Poltergeist series were not so bad but I think I'm more of an E.T. kinda guy.  I did enjoy John Denver and George Burns in Oh, God.  George Burns was much nicer than the unseen devil that was invading Regan (played by Linda Blair) in the Exorcist.

But I didn't bring all this up just so everyone would know what a scaredy-cat I was and that I had lost all my bejesus twice over movies.  I brought this up because I'm starting to see a trend in my back yard.  Maybe it's an OMEN.  As you now know OMEN's are very scary.

I didn't write about it but last week Ginger found a dead bird next to the fence in the back yard.  She told me about it and a few hours later I went out to "dispose" of the creature lest my granddaughter find it.  Not that she would be shocked or anything like that... it's just that if she found it we would have to have another funeral and burial.  I searched for the bird but it was gone.  Ginger came out and searched.  It was still gone.

Then Joe disappeared last Thursday.  She hasn't been seen for 6 days now. 

Then just yesterday on two different occasions a dead toadlet was seen floating slowly toward the skimmer.  It's easy to assume the toadlets were killed taking their joy ride through the pump impeller followed by the water pipe and the big finale of the waterfalls.  I made just that assumption when I first saw the deceased toadlets.

But now that I consider all the events together I may have stumbled on a demonic plot.  Maybe my dopey neighbors are conjuring up spirits.  Maybe my house was built on a long abandoned Boot Hill or Indian Burial Ground.

Whatever the case, that bird was dead and then vanished.  Joe hasn't been seen lately.  Dead toadlets have been observed floating in the pond.  Even the rescued toad has not been seen for 3 days!

Go ahead and laugh.  When you go to bed tonight take a moment and listen.  Do you hear that?  I think it's coming from the attic?  What the hell is that?  I hope you have a dog...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I was thinking about visiting....now I'm not so sure!!!! Teri

Anonymous said...

I remember watching both of those movies with you. What were you thinking to take a little girl with you to watch those? (Not thinking I'd be the "fainting goat" I hope) I still think of Damian- he ATE my bejesus! hahaha J9

Kirk said...

I rememeber when Dad took Janine and I to see The Exorcist. It scared me and janine. We also watched this at a Drive inn that night. I think you should look into having your place blessed. Now the question is who should do it? get a preist, or a medicine man, witch doctor. Oh hell, get them all there. Cover the bases..

Love you Dad,
Kirk