Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Maybe He Is Confused...
Mosquito Control Visit

Who may be confused you ask... I'm referring to the toad that moved in. 

He appeared to have the manner of the strong, silent type in that he could be seen, hard to scare and very quiet.  I was thinking that maybe he was a juvenile and too young to mate and too stupid to hide (probably never heard of blue herons).  Of course it's really hard to mate when there is only one of you.  God knows I've had my turn in that situation... but this isn't the forum for that story.  Anyway, this toad was silent. 

Then all of a sudden at dusk he started croaking and color me orange like the great pumpkin if he didn't croak all night.  Yea... that's more like it, I thought.  Call those sweet green darlings to your wet haven.  He croaked for 3 nights in a row, starting at dusk and only stopping when the horizon got light and then back to the silent treatment.

We haven't seen any potential mates or any other toads at all.  I guess on top of being the strong, silent type he is also a loner.  So while I was really thinking we would have a batch of toadlets this year it's not looking so good now.  There is still time!  I know there's a pony in here somewhere.  If you know any homeless toads... send 'em on over.

An interesting aside:  The Grand River Mosquito Control lady came to my door on Monday... actually it was my garage door as I was futzing in the garage.  She asked if I would allow her to check out my pond for mosquito's.  I told her if she could put up with my stories about having a pond she was welcome to come and look, sit, check, have coffee any 'ol time she wanted.  She passed on the coffee and having a seat but was stuck listening to me.  She did scoop some water into her official white cup-on-a-stick and inspected and detected.  I have been officially declared a mosquito free zone.

I'm here to tell you those damn skeeters might not be growing up in my pond but they sure are stopping buy for meals as my arms, legs and neck can attest.

So that's the latest from Red Tail Ridge...  Whoohoo

1 comment:

Janine said...

I've never heard of skeeter patrol checking private ponds. What if you were breeding them? Then what happens?