Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pond Additions

I received a letter in the mail last week stating the local pond store, "The Lily Pad," was closing it's doors because of the slowing economy.  When I talked to the owner today he told me a local nursery was going to take on the sales and service of pond paraphernalia. 

It's a good news, bad news story for me.  You see, I liked the guy who owned the business and I'm really sorry to see him go, but on the other hand, I really like the local nursery and glad there will still be a reputable business taking care of the needs of people who own ponds. 

Part of the The Lily Pad closing process is the need to get rid of inventory.  Would you believe they are having a "going out of business" sale?  Yep, and this week it's 25% off everything in the store.  Next week on Monday and Tuesday it will be 50% off.  Closed on Wednesday.  On Thursday and Friday it's 70% off or best offer.

So in the name of good consumerism Ginger and I went to the pond store just to look around and see what they still had.  I was surprised that a whole bunch of stock had already been sold.  Then we saw all the fish and the pond plants and I guess got a little caught-up in the moment and bought 5 fish and 6 plants.  

Two of the plants we bought are, hopefully, going to be lily pads starting in the spring.  I had to wade into the pond (it was pretty cool to my 'ol legs), remove some rocks on the bottom, put this mass of roots and stinky mud in the hole and cover with enough rocks to keep it from floating to the surface.  It was a bit challenging as the pond hasn't recovered from "algae August" (lots of algae in the water due to warm water and sun, you'll see the "green water" in the pictures below) and I couldn't see what I was doing.  At least nothing bit me.

The rest of the plants were either in pots or just bare roots that were placed in the rocks.  They will secure themselves as the roots grow.  We're hoping there is enough growing season left for them to secure themselves before they give it up for the winter.

Below are pictures of the plants (sans the lily's) as well as the fish before we released them. 








WhooHoo!

1 comment:

Janine said...

Do you think the fish will survive winter's cold or autumn's hungry birds? I'm surprised it has taken this long to add pretty orange flashes to the pretty green water. You are going rainbow very slowly. Are fish expensive? Or do they thrive on baby toads? I can picture the food chain here in daily pond drama fashion. I think it's exciting to add foliage and swimmers. Hope it works for you!!