Friday, August 5, 2011

Pond Pump Project

Could there ever be a year that I don't have something exciting to do in the pond maintenance arena? I guess I just have to wait till it's hot enough to fry green tomatoes on the raised garden bricks and then start a project.

As faithful frog-blog followers your aware that this year the string algae has attempted a coup to overthrow the balance between an attractive, peaceful pond with lily's and fish versus a green slimy swamp! To this end I have to admit the string algae has held the upper hand.  That, my friends, is going to stop real soon.

In my ever so humble opinion the string algae began the take over when I last replaced my pond pump. The replacement pump has been working diligently day after day, season after season however the water flow just isn't there to keep the string algae at bay.  I need faster flowing water and to attain that goal I can either make the pond volume less or increase the amount of water I pump from the skimmer pond up to the bio-falls. I'm going to pump more water.

The new pump is supposed to arrive via UPS on Tuesday.  I'm so excited.  So in preparation of the event I have dug a hole.

Yes my friends it took many wheelbarrow trips from my backyard, up the hill to the undeveloped land to dump the dirt I extracted from what will be my new pumps home.  It could only have been harder if the trip had been uphill BOTH WAY'S as it was when I used to walk to school.

This new pump is an external pump. That means it isn't submerged in the skimmer but lives outside the pond on dry land... in this case stuck in a hole next to the skimmer.

So without further ado I present to you the before and after pictures of my soon to be installed Artesian2 3/4 horsepower - high flow pump house or cave or hole.

This is the before picture. The reality of what really lived under
the fake rock.

The new and improved space under the fake rock.

The pump will sit cross-wise or from corner to corner.  The space without
the brick is what I'm calling the "future sump pump."  The sprinkler controller
is movable as it is on a bracket that hangs over the edge of the brick wall.
So there you have it folks.  I'll be updating the blog once the pump is installed... God willing and the hole doesn't fill up with water.

Whoohoo!!

1 comment:

Janine said...

Phew! Now you'll be able to see the black widows before they see you when you open the hatch in the future. It looks nice and clean and professional. Pump away!