Friday, August 19, 2011

Pond Pump Project Retraction

I was feeling energized because the pond pump project went so well. The pump pumped and the water flowed nicely AND there were no leaks. There are currently no leaks as I had to remove the pump from the pump hole to keep it from filling the pump hole with water.  The damn thing leaked.

On the morning of the 5th day I went outside and looked into the pump hole (hmmm, maybe it should be called pump pit...) and there was a small area of wetness under the pump. A couple of hours later water was running out the bottom of the pump and the whole bottom of the hole/pit was wet.  I shut the pump off.

I talked to the guys at Performance Pro Pumps... a nice lot they are too. They said that 99 times out of 100 the leaks were caused by a failue in a seal (click here for bad seal joke xx).  They gave me a couple of options:
  1. Return the pump and they would repair it and return it to me for no charge.
  2. Take the pump to a local pump repair facility and they would pay for repairs.
  3. They would send me a repair kit with instructions on how to put in a seal.
I selected option 3 as I've replaced axle seals on cars and figure the seal in a pump can't be that difficult. In addition, the factory guy, Eric, said it was pretty simple and he would be available for questions anytime... even gave me his personal cell phone number.

So the new seal is on it's way. The pump is sitting on my work bench. The algae is happy as a clam with all the calm warm water.

Boohoo...

No comments: