Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ding Dong - Gourd Bells

I just love my gourd trellis. It is one of the coolest things we've done this year and I'm sure we will do it again next year too.

The gourds are starting to grow like crazy. Everyday there are new ones dropping in. I swear that some days they are growing so fast you can almost see them getting bigger.  As the gourd trellis matures we are treated to various shapes and sizes of gourds and the trellis is filling out nicely.

Here are some pictures I took on Friday:





This is the biggest gourd we have so far. It's over a foot long.


One of the most interesting things, to me anyway, are the tendrils the wrap themselves around just
about anything they come in contact with. The look like organic springs.

Every now and then a baby gourd will start to grow and then die off. Haven't figured out why that
is but once they get about 3 or 4 inches long they continue to mature.

Whoohoo!

2 comments:

Janine said...

Terrific! I love it! Are the wasps attracted at all to the flowers/vines? Is it safe to sit in the shade and enjoy the gourd arbor?

Jim said...

There are bees that hang in the blossoms and a wasp from time to time. I have not been bothered by any of them and I do sit under the trellis. Usually when I'm under it I'm searching for squash bugs and eggs. When I flip a leaf over sometimes I'll irritate a bee but they apparently don't feel threatened as they haven't stung me. I try to ignore them unless they get in my face or land on me... then I just shoo 'em away.