Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Joe Scores Again!!!

I wasn't there when it happened but there is no doubt that Joe had a successful hunt this morning. I did witness 2 failed attempts of Joe trying to secure breakfast. The hunt that counted I missed but was lucky enough to find Joe sitting on the edge of the pond too stuffed to move. I took his picture so you could see why I thought he snatched another unwary Birdie. Yes, those are the tail feathers of Joe's favorite meal. They are wet but there is not doubt as I checked it out up close.

He is off digesting his breakfast. I looked for him a little while ago but couldn't find him. Maybe he is carrying such a load that he can't make it up stream and over the falls to his usual safe haven. I'm sure he will turn up.

Ginger and I were talking about him and his diet this morning. We decided Joe's life in our pond was pretty good. Fresh, relatively clean water. Shelter either under the rocks or under the bridge. And a food source that is practically unlimited. He seems to be a pretty successful hunter. Of course there are a plethora of birds in our yard for the same reason Joe is in our yard. I guess everyone has to eat and someday the big blue heron will swoop down from the sky and Joe will no longer terrorize the birds... of course somewhere there is a Joe Jr.

No comments: