Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Fleet's First Toadlet to Toad

I can't put into words how excited I am to be able to show you the pictures of a toad that just 26 days ago was a newly laid egg.
    
It's mid afternoon, an overcast day.  Temperature is in the low 80's.  I'm standing on the bridge with my granddaughter when she exclaimed, "look grampa, it's a toad!"  Sure enough this brand new toad had just crawled out of the pond and was resting on a rock, the water trail still showing it's short trek.  

I ran (well, walked really fast) to the house and got my camera.  I passed it on to Becca and she started snapping pictures.   

I've read a lot of accounts of people having toads in their ponds and don't recall any reports of seeing a toad emerge from the pond.  Everything I've read is either it's a tadpole or it's a toad and nothing about the transition day.  I believe this it the first time this creature crawled out of the pond onto terra firma... OK, onto a rock. 

Enjoy the pictures I believe are of a rarely witnessed event.  

This little guy is about an inch long, maybe a little less, from nose to the end of it's tail.

1 comment:

Janine said...

If you believe it evolution then you just witnessed your trek out of the ooze. Isn't it amazing what our ancestors were capable of!!