Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Interesting Day on the Western Slope

Looking closely at Joe I'm amazed to find the slim damsel of yesterday has turned so fat so fast. She is about to split a seam, burst a gut, pop a rivet... this girl has become half bulimic... the half that binges. I hope we don't get to the other half.

Apparently the change of waterfalls has renewed her success in the see, stalk, capture and consume arenas. I already mentioned the finch she ate on Monday. Based on the size of her waistline that wasn't her last meal.

Besides Joe's waistline I have other news. My Granddaughter was over today and in the front yard she found a snake skin that had probably been shed this very same day. It was the most intact snake skin I've seen. You could see the eyes and mouth as well as the tail. It looked to me like the skin split about in the middle and the snake pulled both ends out of the skin toward the middle split. Wish I had been there to watch.

It's hard to read in the picture but the snake skin measured 31 inches. There are areas of the skin that are scrunched together so I expect the actual snake was a few inches longer.

Coincidently, Ginger said she saw a snake in the front yard this morning that was predominately brown, possibly a garter snake or the cousin of same. The skin may have belonged to that traveler.

A Bullock's Oriole also visited us today. Three times actually. They are the most beautiful birds. They don't stay around long and my picture taking attempts have not resulted in any pictures worth loading to this blog. The picture shown is one I found on the Internet (I tried to email the owner but apparently bad contact info).

I even got to eat some ice cream today which is a rare treat for this 'ol guy.

There you have it. Joe is fat and I assume happy. The snake has renewed itself. The Oriole has awed us with his vivid colors and I got ice cream.

Life is good on the western slope of Colorado.

No comments: