Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mama Mallard and Consort

I eased my body from my recliner and headed for the kitchen. Coffee, I think, was my mission. As I passed the window looking out back I noticed waves in Joe's pond. Nope, it wasn't Joe it was Mama Mallard and her Consort, Daddy Duck.


I guess the Mallard couple liked it here after visiting a few days ago. They seemed to enjoy the quiet and this time paddled around two of the ponds. They even stuck their heads underwater in search of a snack. They would also duck their heads under the water and raise them quickly making water flow over their backs. The Mallard family was here for about an hour this morning and then flew off.



About an hour later Mrs. Mallard returned sans Daddy Duck. She landed in the pond and paddled to Humpty Dumpty Falls. She stood in the falls for 45 minutes doing nothing but a couple of scratches and a stretch. I had the feeling she was waiting for the allusive other half. He was a no-show and she finally took off headed in the direction of the Colorado River which is just a short distance to the north.

The Woodhouse's Toads are still with us and making their screeching sounds both day and night. They won't be around for all that long and hearing them kinda grows on you. Now if I don't hear them I wonder what's wrong. Is this man never happy?

Stay tuned if your interested in the differences between a frog and a toad. I'm working on that. If I get really inspired I may tell y'all 'bout my automatic pond filler! Yep, I knew you would be excited.

No comments: