Friday, May 29, 2009

Great Butterfly Picture

This is a Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly. There are lots of them flitting around our city. This lovely creature was visiting our garden and luckily I happened to have my camera with me. The light was good and the butterfly cooperative thus I wound up with about a half-dozen really nice closeup shots. The one you see here is one of my favorites.


There is something about the symmetry and grace of a butterfly.  When I watch them flutter along from flower to flower they seem to be on the edge of disaster, at any moment the wind will pick them up and dash them to the ground.  Of course that doesn't happen but it makes you pause as they flutter on their journey. 

In addition to the symmetry are their colors.  Note the iridescent blue and the touch of red on the hind wing.  The black "tiger stripes" and trailing wing.  Followed by the shape of the wing that mimics the tail of the Swallowtail Bird.

I have a other photo's, let me know if you want to see more.  Just leave a comment.

No comments: