Sunday, May 24, 2009

So Long Woody...

It would appear the Woohouse's Toads have left the pond area.  I haven't heard their calls for almost a week now nor have I seen them in the burrows they made.  With Joe moving back home I'm not surprised they have moved to another neighborhood.  Stick around here and Joe will probably have you over for dinner... and your the dinner!

I don't think I told you that the female Woodhouse's Toad made a burrow in the burm of the apple tree. You may recall, we put chicken wire and plastic mesh around the burm to keep the rabbit from digging.  Mrs. Toad dug her burrow with the entrance exactly the shape and size of the holes in the chicken wire.  Cool huh.

Of course the toadlets are still with us.  They are getting harder to spot as they disperse.  No doubt some have gone to meet their maker.  The pond is a dangerous place.  Regardless of the tenacity of the toadlet's some, if not most, just won't make it.

See ya next year Woody...

No comments: